Fun in the Sun

Summer is a time for rest and relaxation, and for many students, it’s a much-needed break from the stress of school.

Students having fun in the sun playing sports. (Photo credits Mia Gomez)

Drew Blackburn, MHS News Writer

After months of studying, homework, and semester projects and exams, summer provides a much-needed opportunity to recharge and have fun.

School can be stressful, academic work can take a toll on students’ mental and physical health. Summer provides a chance to step back from the daily grind and focus on other things that are stress relieving, such as spending time with family and friends, resting, sports, and traveling.  You can enjoy all of these under the sun.

Sunlight is a great tool to produce vitamin D which helps our bodies. It also can improve our mood and energy levels by producing serotonin to get us back to our happy relaxed selves. Serotonin is a hormone that helps boost calm energy levels.

In Healthline’s article it states, “Without enough sun exposure, your serotonin levels can dip. Low levels of serotonin are associated with a higher risk of major depression with seasonal pattern.”

But of course, summer isn’t just about taking a break from school, it’s also about preparing for the next year. As students, we need to use the summer to complete summer reading, projects, or prepare for upcoming classes. Make sure to start this early so you aren’t stressed out the final weeks of summer.

Summer is a much-needed break from school that provides students with an opportunity to rest, recharge, and have fun.

Don’t get too caught up in the fun and remember to complete your summer to-do list.