Lenten Promises Within Marist

Today marks the 4th Friday of this Lenten season. MHS Media takes a look at the work happening within the walls of Marist during this journey.
Marist Students getting their ashes for the start of the Lenten season. (Credit: Marist Chicago Instagram)

This Lenten season, Marist students and faculty are making changes. 

“I would hope that the school, like everybody else, would use Lent to emphasize the three things that Jesus Christ said and did… compassion, mercy, and forgiveness,” said Brother Rich.

During the Lenten season, many people will give up something that they pay too much attention to, what they ‘idolize,’ or what pulls students  away from Jesus. 

“Even though giving up something can teach you an important lesson, like patience, you should try to insist on the needy or something to help those who are less fortunate,” said Brother Rich. 

“Don’t isolate yourself, make friends, talk to someone you see in the halls,” said Meg Dunneback.

Marist encourages students to get out of their comfort zone and try to come up with new ways to make everyone feel like they have a family here.

“Instead of giving up something, like candy, find ways to positively be doing something to find a way to apply compassion, mercy, and forgiveness,” said Brother Rich.

Throughout the school day, students are reminded to make Jesus known and loved whether it is during Lent or any time.

”Just because it is Lent, does not mean you can’t be making changes during the year, Jesus was constantly making changes, we should be too.” said freshman, Mia Vincent.

Marist students are reminded everyday that we should be making Jesus known and loved. Whether it is through our club, sports, or really any extra curricular activities.

“I see Jesus in my students, just like when I teach them, like in religion, they seem to be so willing to learn,” said Ms. Ende, one of many Marist religion teachers.

Marist gives many opportunities to their students to see and talk to Jesus, and now that it is the Lenten season, we are spending our time in prayer and preparation for his Resurrection.

“We have a lot of things going on at Marist, in terms of community service, and when you serve a person in need, whatever that might be, you’re making Jesus known and loved,” said Brother Rich.

Marist offers KAIROS (seniors-only retreat), community service, and other projects to help implement Jesus into the lives of young adults.

“We have a lot of things going on especially during Lent. Do something positive, visit someone you haven’t seen in two or three years, maybe reconcile with someone. Doing something can be far better than avoiding something,” said Brother Rich.