Soccer Season Kicks Off

Bryanna Lopez
Marist girls soccer practice after school

The beginning of the Marist girls’ soccer spring season marks a new chapter for the team. With months of preparation and training behind them, the players are eager and determined to showcase their skills in competition.

As the players lace up their cleats and take to the field for training sessions, their focus is clear. The coaches have worked diligently to fine-tune the team’s strategy and tactics, ensuring they are well-prepared for challenges this season.

First off, they build on their successes from the previous season. With a roster of talented players and a dedicated coaching staff, there is a sense of excitement and anticipation in the air as the team gears up for its first match.

“At the beginning of training, I didn’t know the positions. I didn’t know where the midfield was. I didn’t know where to run. I only felt comfortable playing defense because I knew you didn’t move much, but by the time training ended, I knew exactly where the positions were on the field. I knew how to play,” said Marist soccer player Ashley Garza.

The players have been putting in extra hours on the field, practicing drills, and perfecting their techniques. They have been working on their teamwork and communication, knowing that these are critical to achieving success.

“It improves team communication and your social skills,” said Marist Soccer player Eava Zuniga.

The team also focused on staying injury-free and maintaining their physical and mental well-being throughout the season. They understand the importance of caring for their bodies and minds so that they can perform at their best on the field.

An essential aspect of the team is their strong sense of unity and camaraderie. The girls have been working together on and off the field to build trust and support for each other. This has helped to foster a positive team culture and a sense of togetherness that will be crucial for their success this season.

“It’s a very physical sport that you can make many long-term friends. It’s just enjoyable and competitive,” said Marist soccer player Miranda Valencia.