Behind the Scenes with the Marist Band

Marist band marching in the 2023 Saint Patrick’s Parade in Dublin, Ireland

The Marist band continues to thrive with travel opportunities while also boosting school spirit here at home. 

Once a year, the band goes on a trip during spring break. Past trips have included performances at the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, California, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Chicago White Sox Opening Day, The Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in Dublin, Ireland, and  Disney World every four years.

This year, they went to New York from April 1-4. Activities included playing by the 9/11 memorial, going to the Statue of Liberty, and watching the musical, Little Shop of Horrors.

Their reputation has earned them these coveted invitations. Next, they are invited to perform at the Vietnam Veterans Parade in Honolulu, Hawaii. 

“We get to be in a bunch of big parades, which makes the band super exciting,” said Danny Deacy, a sophomore at Marist.

Locally,  the band also marches in the annual Thanksgiving parade and has done almost every Southside Irish parade.

“Watching the halftime show is the most memorable part of the football games,” said Marist student Alex Leal.

The band plays at every home game and performs songs while marching in formation. Leal says, “I love it when the band makes an M for Marist on the field while playing the fight song. The whole student section chants along, which makes for a fun time.”

Sophomore Addison Green said, “I look forward to the band performing at rallies and games. It brings a lot of school spirit to the event.” 

A crowd favorite is their “drum circle,” where they bang the drums while the tubas do different funny dances.

Students in the band get multiple academic benefits. Band is an honors credit so students can get a GPA boost from the class. The band is an elective, art credit, music credit, or gym credit.

“Marist band has given me a family away from home,” said senior Michael Alfano. “The past four years in this band have given me lifelong memories. I have had such a unique high school experience full of tradition.”