The Student News Site of Marist High School

MHS Media

MHS Media

MHS Media

Editorial: Why You Should Take Journalism

Sophomores and Freshmen are finishing course selctions for next year. Before you sign off on your schedule, read this editorial by the Editor in Chief of our school news site, MHS Media.
Marist’s Journalism 2 class is hard at work in the computer center.

MHS Media is approaching its second birthday and there are plenty of reasons why you should want to join its writing staff.

Journalism is a fun, unique class loved by its students. As you select your classes for next year make sure to consider giving journalism a spot in your schedule. 

Journalism 1 is an elective English class that teaches you how to write, read, and navigate the world of journalism as you become a writer for the MHS media news site.

”Journalism is fun because you get to choose your topics and write about something that you actually care and are passionate about,” said student Vinny Quiroz.

As a student journalist you get to be more involved with your school community and help spread awareness for things that you care about. It’s a more freeing take on the traditional writing class allowing you to pick your topics and go at your own pace within reason.

“I like journalism because it helps with your writing skills, but also because the people you meet are nice, and the things you learn help you even outside the realm of journalism,” said Journalism 2 student Trinity Eadie.

As a first year journalist in Journalism 1 you will begin as a writer where most all you do is write articles for the news site. As you climb the ladder and move up into Journalism 2, you can become an editor determining content, working with your peers to help them with their articles, as well as earn honors credit to boost your GPA.

Students in journalism also get the opportunity to use the Macs in the computer lab, an experience limited to few classes throughout Marist.

You also have the opportunity for multiple field trips. This past year Journalism 2 students visited NBC5 Chicago’s studio and entered in an annual journalistic writing competition at the end of March.

It was really interesting seeing what people do when they go into journalism and broadcasting and the jobs that we’re able to do instead of just hearing about them,” said Drew Blackburn about her experience at the NBC5 studio field trip.

Journalism is a class with a ton of opportunity and its own unique flair. No matter what way you spin it, journalism at Marist is definitely worth considering for your upcoming school year.