Chicago Baseball: What to Expect This Summer

Cubs after winning crosstown classic series 3 to 1 (Credit: Cubs X)

As the anticipation builds for the upcoming 2024 MLB season, baseball fans across Chicago are gearing up for what promises to be an exhilarating showdown between the city’s franchises: the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox. 

Before the season kicks off, fans are divided on which team will come out on top. In a recent poll conducted by MHS Media, 48% of respondents favored the Cubs, while 52% favored the White Sox.

The Cubs, led by Cody Bellinger, Dansby Swanson, Nico Hoerner, and Ian Happ, are coming off a solid season and are hungry to reclaim their dominance in the National League. 

The White Sox, who had a disappointing season last year, are now under the leadership of Luis Robert Jr., Dylan Cease, Pual DeJong, and Yoán Moncada, and are determined to show that they are still a competitive team in the American League.

The 2024 season will feature several highly anticipated matchups between the Cubs and the White Sox, providing opportunities for fans to witness the rivalry in action. From intense pitching duels to clutch hitting moments, these games are sure to keep spectators on the edge of their seats.

Currently the Cubs are ranked 12 out of 30 teams in the power rankings, Marist Students are split on whether the Cubs will surpass or fail to reach these high expectations. 

On the other hand, the Sox are ranked 28 out of 30 teams in the power rankings. Unlike the Cubs, Marist students think the Sox will surpass these expectations.

According to Brendan Mcmonigal, a Marist baseball fan, “the key to success for both teams lies in their ability to stay healthy and consistent throughout the grueling 162-game season,” he said.

“The Cubs have a strong lineup and solid pitching rotation, but they’ll need to avoid any prolonged slumps if they want to secure a playoff spot,” he said. 

“As for the White Sox, they just want to make it to the end of the season in one piece,” he said.

As the teams battle it out, one thing’s for certain: the rivalry between these two iconic franchises will continue to captivate audiences and keep the Windy City buzzing with excitement.