Marist Bingo, Mass, and Brunch Brings Generations Together

Marist students and grandparents gather in the Marist Chapel for Mass. (Credit: Marist High School Instagram)

Marist High School celebrated its annual Grandparent Mass and Bingo on Saturday, April 14. The Marist Parent’s Club planned the event to allow Marist grandparents to attend Mass at their grandchildren’s high school while competing in a few rounds of Bingo and receiving a hearty brunch. 

Shortly before 9:30 a.m., students and grandparents began to arrive at the Marist Chapel. Mass subsequently started with Fr. Tom Hurley presiding. The Mass and the homily had a strong emphasis on the importance of maintaining a bond and love between grandparents and grandchildren. 

Afterward, attendees walked down the Marist hallway towards the cafeteria. Students were also given the opportunity to have photos professionally taken with their grandparents to remember the day. 

Volunteers then served students and grandparents brunch, which included eggs, bacon, pancakes, French toast, orange juice, and coffee. 

“The food was delicious, and I really enjoyed the French toast and orange juice,” said Joanna Cook, a Marist grandparent. 

Around 11:00 a.m., brunch was being wrapped up, and volunteers started giving instructions for Bingo. There would be a total of six rounds, with several raffles occurring at the same time.  

The student Bingo winners were Nolan Wood ‘26, Annabella Ramos ‘24, Logan Belcik ‘27, Danny Relly ‘26, Kyle Dunneback ‘26, and Eileen Wagner ‘26. 

The Marist students were given the options of a free yearbook, funds for the bookstore, an all-access sports pass, or a free prom ticket. In addition, they were allowed to choose from a selection of six gift baskets ranging from lottery tickets, coffee, and bottles of wine for their grandparents and family to enjoy. Marist apparel and gear was awarded to raffle winners. 

“It was pretty fun to win a round of Bingo,” said Nolan Wood, a Marist student. “I’m just glad that I was able to spend some time with my grandma and show her around my school.”

The festivities ended around 2:00 p.m. with students and grandparents heading home, but the memories will live on for some time to come.  

“I liked the event because it allowed me to show my grandma what a great school I go to,” said sophomore George Kottaras. “As my life has gotten busier, it also gave me a chance just to have fun with my grandma and be able to enjoy the moment.”