Marist Math Team Wins Regionals; Headed to State Competition

The math team preparing for a competition earlier in the year (Credit: Marist website)

The Marist math team dominated regionals at Crete-Monee High School this past Saturday. The team is now focusing on state.

Senior Michael Alfano said they worked hard all year. The team met every day after school taking practice tests and working on math homework. Their hard work has paid off.

The team’s coaches are Mr. Owen Glennon and Mr. Jeff Nickolson, teachers for multiple classes. Glennon has an extensive background in teaching and contributed to the AP Calculus Textbook used in schools.

Marist is ranked the highest in the Catholic Schools division and fifth statewide heading into the competition. The only schools placed higher are Libertyville High School (fourth), U of C Lab (third), Vernon Hills (second), and Glenbrook North (first). Freshmen and juniors are ranked third in the state, and sophomores and seniors are ranked sixth. 

“We’re gonna demolish everyone again,” says sophomore Danny Deacy.

The expectation set before the team headed to regionals was to win and to do it quickly. 

They were right.

Marist High School destroyed their opponents, winning almost every competition during the event. As a result, Marist changed from the sixth-ranked team in Illinois to the fifth. 

Expectations remain high heading into the state competition, which will be at Illinois State University April 6.

“We need to practice and practice. If we try hard enough, we can bring the title to Marist,” Deacy says.