Marist Students Visit Chicago TV and Radio Stations

Marist Journalism 2 and Broadcasting 2 students travel downtown to Cumulus Radio Group and NBC5 Chicago for a field trip.
Students at the NBC5 anchor desk with News Anchor, Alex Maragos

Marist’s Journalism 2 and Broadcasting 2 students were granted the privilege of visiting NBC Tower, home of popular radio stations and television headquarters in downtown Chicago Tuesday, February 6.  They had access to tour the studios and learn from professionals throughout the day.

The day kicked off with a guest appearance at Marist by famous NBC5 Chicago Investigative Reporter Phil Rogers. Rogers prepared a presentation for students showing off some of his most adventurous stories throughout the years, including covering two Olympic games and the war in the Middle East.

Former NBC5 Investigative Reporter Phil Rogers shows students the plethora of press credentials he’s acquired in his career

“It was really interesting to hear the stories he had to tell,” said Journalism 2 student Vincent Quiroz

Following that, teachers Ms. Carlson and Ms. Kelly took students downtown near the Chicago River where they would begin the trip with a tour of the Cumulus Radio Group studios and offices courtesy of program director Stephanie Tichenor. Radio stations that operate out of these offices include Q101, WLS AM, and WLS FM.

Students watch Q101 mid-day personality Lauren O’Neill work her magic on the air
Students outside the Cumulus radio offices

Finally these students were able to tour the NBC5 Chicago offices and studio lead by news anchor Alex Maragos. They were granted the opportunity to sit in the control room during a live news segment on NBC Chicago at 12:30.

Students check out the green screen with NBC5 meteorologist Iisha Scott

“It was really interesting seeing what people do when they go into journalism and broadcasting and the jobs that we’re able to do instead of just hearing about them,” said Journalism 2 student Drew Blackburn.