Entrance Exam: Welcome Class of ‘28

Kevin Curley
Marist Students cheering on Class of 28’ as they enter the building

Nearly 500 students from all over the Chicago-area were welcomed into the halls of Marist High School for the annual entrance exam Saturday, December 2. Future Redhawks soared into the building along with a crowd of Marist students, faculty and staff ready to take on the test of the year.

“The energy is great. We have our student council currently outside getting ready,” said Ms. Callahan, Marist’s Director of Admissions. “I’m really excited and I can’t wait till they arrive.”

This year the system is partially different. Instead of having students sit and wait in the main gym for the other hundreds of kids to show up, students will be taken immediately to a classroom.

“We will have student ambassadors lead them to a different classroom and continue that process,” said Callahan.

The gym was filled with a range of emotions as students waited to be escorted out to begin the test. Incoming freshman Maeve Stratton said, “I’m nervous, but really excited.”

Several other students felt the same way: scared, nervous, and tired.

“I just want my bed,” said incoming freshman Gia Paruszkiewicz.

For many eighth graders, the thought of  high school is nauseating. A huge building full of brand new faces can be intimidating. Several staff members acknowledged this concern and shared wisdom they have learned throughout the years.

“Take a deep breath,” said Callahan.  “You have been preparing for this all your middle school years.”

Marist President Mr. Larry Tucker said, “Come as you are…We want to see who you are now and as a freshman next year.”

“This test does not reflect what you are capable of,” said Marist reading teacher Ms. Laura McDonough.

Tests affect people differently. Some panic, while others are completely chill. The ARC is a professional resource center that allows all students to get the help they need. 

“I love the ARC,” said McDonough. “ I think it’s wonderful that all students are capable of getting help. 

During the exam certain students are taken to the ARC where several counselors await to help them push through their feelings and finish the test on a high note.

Incoming freshman Eli Shalack tested in the ARC.

“I like being in my own space,” said Shalack. “I need extra help and I’m happy I got that.”

“Even if you don’t do well on the test, just know it’s one morning, one snapshot of who you are as a student,” said Callahan. “Good luck!”