A Night of Honor, Glory and Fame

Ethan Froylan
The Ron Burgundys perform at the Marist Sportsplex in front of an enthusiastic crowd
Student videographer Sean Prendergast captured some of the opening speeches at Marist’s 60th anniversary gala.

More than 700 people gathered at the Marist Sportsplex to celebrate Marist’s 60th Anniversary on Saturday, December 2. The event aimed to help fundraise for Marist’s financial assistance program for current and future students. 

Attendees ranged from parents, alums, teachers, administrators, and Marist community members. The night began at 5:30 p.m. with a sit-down dinner and continued with an awards presentation, an exciting paddle auction, and live music from the Ron Burgundys. 

Honorees of the evening received awards recognizing their noteworthy contributions to Marist High School. Br. Hank Hammer, FMS, former president of Marist, was presented with the Heart of Marist award. Gerald Beeson, a member of the Class of ’90, was honored with the Distinguished Alumni Award. 

Throughout the evening, several alums gathered again to help support their former high school and remember the memories and ways Marist helped them become who they are today. 

“[Marist] developed my faith, guided me to my college career in construction, and I met a lot of good people along the way,” said Marist alumnus Will Callahan. 

Near the end of the dinner, President Larry Tucker was honored to have the newly built Sportsplex named after him due to his countless years of service to the Marist community as  principal and president. 

“I’m so honored to have received this, and I can only thank the teachers, students, and the entire Marist community for allowing me to help lead their school,” said Tucker. 

As the night drew to a close, attendees finished their desserts, leaped out of their seats, and headed to the stage to party and dance amidst a lively atmosphere while the Ron Burgundys played and sang in front of a Christmas-style backdrop.

“It’s been beautiful. The food was really good. The desserts were even better, and the auction was really entertaining, so it’s been a good night,” said Marlin Higgs, a friend of an alumnus.