The Student News Site of Marist High School

MHS Media

MHS Media

MHS Media

Students and Teachers Adjust to Schedule Change

Marist High School has been known for having various schedules over the past few years. This year is different again.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the students have the same schedule everyday, but a late start every Thursday. The year before, was a schedule where the first three periods would rotate everyday. The years before that, the schedule was a more college-like rotating system, where students would not go to the same classes everyday.

People wonder if these changes benefit the students and teachers or if it has any effect at all. For junior student Reese O’Keefe, it has been less stressful, and better for her academics.

“This schedule made it less stressful in the morning. Knowing it’s the same class first everyday made it easier,” O’Keefe said. “The late start has helped with my grades and routine.”

Other students agree this schedule has helped many students get into a set routine every morning.

“I prefer this year’s schedule better because it makes getting to my classes in the morning easier,” said sophomore Isabelle McGrane.

The teachers can tell that students are showing up more on time to class in the morning compared to last year. Ms. Claire Kelly, English teacher, says, “In my first period, I can tell students are showing up earlier and not being as tardy compared to last year.”

“This schedule hasn’t really changed my teaching style and routine.” Kelly said.