Artist of the Week: Bruno Mars

Peter Gene Hernandez, who is better known as Bruno Mars, is an American singer who is best known for his catchy pop and upbeat music.

Bruno Mars posing for his Las Vegas shows in 2023. (Photo Creds: Spotify)

Cassidy Cage, MHS Media Writer

Bruno Mars was born on October 8, 1985, in Honolulu, Hawaii. He grew up in a musical family with his father being a Latin percussionist and his mother a singer.

When he graduated from high school, he moved from Hawaii to Los Angeles to pursue his music career. Later, he signed with Motown Records in 2004.

He was not successful with Motown, but they did get him recognized by songwriter, Philip Lawrence. Bruno and Philip began producing songs for other artists using the name Smeezingtons.

Bruno began to draw his own path in 2010 by releasing four songs. Five months later, Bruno made his own album Doo-Wops & Hooligans which has popular songs known as Just the Way You Are, Grenade,and The Lazy Song.

The album was successful and led him into winning a Grammy Award for best male pop vocal performance for The Lazy Song.

After his first hit album, his next was called 24K Magic in 2016. 24K Magic was a hit and won numerous Grammy awards for best album, record, and song.

In 2021, Bruno Mars eventually partnered up with Anderson. Paak to make the group Silk Sonic. They made the album An Evening with Silk Sonic in 2021. This album won Grammys for both best record and song.

From his humble upbringings in Hawaii, he is now a world-class performer and known around the world.