Marist Chess Team Experience at State

The Marist Chess team before heading to state competition (Credit: Marist Instagram)

After much success this school year, the chess team represented Marist at the IHSA state competition in Peoria February 10 and 11. The team had much determination, and they went head to head against some of the most competitive teams from all over the state.

“The atmosphere on the bus was very fun, everyone was just talking and hanging out. No one was very nervous,” team member Joe Kanaan said. “I was just hanging out with my friends. But once we got to the competition, I could tell everyone there was very competitive.”

Kanaan had mixed emotions going into the experience.

It felt pretty amazing to make it to state,” Kanaan said. “But I was also very nervous at the same time, I am glad I still went though, I would have regretted not going.”

Even though the team faced many competitive teams, they still had faith. Led by their coach’s advice, help, and support, the members navigated their way through every match as they faced many challenging opponents, trying their best to win. 

This was Kanaan’s first time ever representing his school at state. In the couple of weeks leading up to the state competition, they practiced quite a bit.

“We practiced a lot with my teammates and our coach. We were very prepared to go to state,” he said.

Kanaan said that he was thankful that they played pretty well, even though they didn’t win first place.