Marist Baseball Team looks ahead to 2024 Season

It’s Opening Day for Marist baseball. As the team gets ready to hit the field, they reflect on lessons learned from the past and their hopes for the future.
Senior Frank Bilecki throwing a pitch (Credit: Frank Bilecki’s Instagram)

Marist Baseball’s last game in the 2023 spring season did not go as planned, as they lost 9 to 1 against Nazareth Academy on May 31. The team has put that loss behind them, and they are looking forward to the upcoming season.

“The goal for this team is to go to state. I believe I have all the talent and want to win and go deep in the playoffs,” said junior pitcher Aidan Flinn. Flinn, a two-year varsity pitcher,  had a 3.74 ERA (earned run average)  with a 3-2 record in 14 appearances last year.

The team finished with a 19-13-1 record last year. The group hit 0.294, having 255 hits with 14 home runs. The squad had a 4.12 era, while all pitchers recorded 18 wins in the 2023 spring season.

“I think the leaders on this team are Frankie Bilecki, John McAullife, and Harry Young,” said Flinn. Bilecki, a senior, had a 2.33 era with 3 wins and 2 losses in 13 appearances. He is committed to Buckner University, a Division One program.

John McAullife is a Junior who is a utility player, playing outfield, catcher, and pitcher. He batted .191 in 68 at-bats with three doubles and one home run. He also had the lowest era on the team last year with a 1.92 era.

Harry Young is a senior outfielder and pitcher who didn’t get to play much last year with all the seniors. He still managed to pitch 21 innings, going 1-0 while striking out 14 with a 4.6 ERA. He is planning on playing Division Three baseball at Loras College.

“The reason I think these guys are leaders is cause they are not scared to address the difficult stuff. They are not scared to tell someone when they need to fix something. They also encourage us,” said Flinn. 

Flinn, being a two-year varsity player, still thinks he has something to prove and is excited to play with some of his friends. 

“I am looking forward to getting the opportunity to prove who I am and play with my friends. For the past two years, I’ve been playing with guys who are older than me, but now I get to play with my boys,” said Flinn.

The group will be a younger one this year. There were 14 seniors on the team last year, making it hard for any juniors or sophomores to get on the field.

Marist has their season opener at home against Richard’s High School on March 12.