Marist Basketball Team Breaks High School Record

The Marist basketball team poses for a photo with coaches and managers after placing 2nd at their holiday match. (Credit: George Kottaras)

The Marist basketball team finished their season with a record 29-5 after their regional and sectional matches. This set Marist basketball history for the most wins in a single season. 

This is a historic moment and comes after four years ago when the Marist team had a total of three wins in their entire season. 

“The whole team, from the coaches to the players have put a lot of work in, and they definitely deserve to be recognized for their accomplishment,” said Zach Larson, Marist basketball assistant-manager. 

The Marist varsity basketball team won their regional match on Friday, February 23 and proceeded towards sectionals. The team went up against Joliet Central for their regional game and was able to defeat them with a final score of 66-51.

Leading up to the match, Marist Basketball players expressed some concern about their competition.

“[Joliet Central] is a pretty skilled team, and it’s important not to underestimate them,” said Marquis Vance, a junior on the team.  

Despite this, Marist players were still positive and ready to compete. 

“I’m feeling pretty confident in my team, and I feel that we should come out with the win,” said Darashan Thomas, a senior on the team.

The Marist team then faced Bloom Township at sectionals, on Wednesday, February 28. The team had high hopes for the match, but were defeated with a final score of 45-56.

“I was disappointed last game, but I’m still very hopeful for what our team can do in the future,” said Alfredo Ibarra, a Marist sports fan.

Nonetheless, the team still had a very competitive season. The Marist basketball team suffered a painful defeat early on, but were able to move on from it. 

“At the beginning of the season we weren’t too focused on the actual game, until we had our first big loss from Marian Catholic on our own home court. It knocked some sense into us,” said George Kottaras, Marist basketball manager. “We started to solely focus on our own game, and now, here we are, in the playoffs.”

From that game on, the team has progressed tremendously, especially with the assistance of their coaches.

“With the introduction of our still-new head coach, Brian Hynes, the Marist basketball program has taken a huge step forward with only a few years of his coaching,” said Kottaras. 

Players also had high praises, yet grueling experiences of their coaches at practice.

“They tell us to play hard everyday, and like to get us tired at every single one of our practices, so that we can succeed and do our best,” said Stephen Brown, a sophomore on the Marist basketball team.

The team overall is grateful for their remarkable season and is hopeful for next year.

“This season has been incredible to watch, and it’s definitely been record breaking,” said Kottaras. “Watching this team grow and get closer has been truly special, something straight out of a Disney movie. It’s just simply amazing,”