Latinos Unite Through Club at Marist 

Latinos United Hispanic heritage dress down. (Credit: marist_latinosunited on instagram)

The Marist club, Latinos United, is a place for students to connect with their heritage and school community. 

“[The club is] proud to provide a safe space for students to engage in conversations about their heritage and get to know more about the Latin culture. It makes me happy to be able to provide that kind of experience for students at Marit,” says Marist teacher Clara Martinez, the moderator for Latinos United.

The club meets twice a month, every other Wednesday, in room 222 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. after school. Latinos United currently has 49 members, but all are welcome regardless of membership. Snacks are always provided as well as music, and usually a craft or activity. 

Students should join to get to know their peers and also learn a bit about what makes up Latin culture. We listen to music, engage in conversation, dance, and just enjoy each other’s company. You can expect to be welcomed with a smile no matter who you are or where you’re from,” says Martinez.

In the past, the club created ofrendas for Day of the Dead, created posters to hang in the hallway, and played Just Dance and Lotería. For Christmas, there was a party complete with Secret Santa, tamales, and music. 

During Hispanic heritage month, representatives from the club read about Hispanic trailblazers on the announcements each morning. 

“I love going to meetings and just hanging out. It’s a great place to meet people and make friends,” says freshman Gabby Garcia. 

Latinos United was created by alumna Veronica Melo and current senior Mia Macias as a safe space for people to talk about their culture and heritage. 

“The club is important because it provides students of a minority group at Marist a place to be themselves and a sense of belonging. Along with this, it helps spread cultural awareness and a sense of inclusion at Marist,” says Martinez. 

Those interested in seeing what the club is up to can follow them on Instagram at @marist_latinosunited. 

“Latinos United brings joy, unity and life to Marist,” says Martinez.