The Student News Site of Marist High School

MHS Media

MHS Media

MHS Media

Marist Cheerleaders are State Champions

Marist varsity cheerleaders take first place at state over the weekend
Marist+Varsity+cheerleaders+after+winning+the+state+championship+
Marist Varsity cheerleaders after winning the state championship
The whole band came out to congratulate our state champion cheerleaders during school Monday

Marist Varsity cheerleaders are the best in the state of Illinois. For the first time in Marist history, they took first place in state competition Saturday, February 3.

The victory followed their first place win at Rolling Meadows High School for IHSA sectionals  January 27. 

The girls left school Thursday for the state tournament following a drumline that marched through the halls of the school. Students came out of their classrooms and cheered the team on as the girls paraded through the school.

The entire Marist band marched through the halls with the champions in tow parading their trophy Monday, February 5  after announcements in period 2. (see video)

Marist Varsity cheerleaders swept the competition to claim 1st place in state competition

Marist cheerleaders were delighted with their success heading into state competition. Molly Ryan, a senior on the Marist Varsity Cheer team said, “It felt bittersweet to perform and I love performing with my team so much.” 

Although they are all excited, for some of them it is bittersweet.

“I’m nervously excited but I’m also sad because it’s my last ever state competition with Marist,” Ryan said.