The Yearly Christmas Debate

Christmas decorations at TJ Maxx
Credit: Google images
Christmas decorations at TJ Maxx

As soon as Halloween ended, many started decorating for Christmas. Others, on the other hand, strongly oppose celebrating Christmas too early. So the real question is: When is the best time to start decorating for Christmas? 

Christmas decorating has been a huge debate every year, and people have strong opinions on both sides. 

On one side of the debate there are people who believe we should celebrate Thanksgiving first before jumping ahead to Christmas.

“I think Christmas should be celebrated after Thanksgiving because it comes first,” said Marist student Faye Bouck.

Bouck and others think everyone should take a day to be thankful and show appreciation to their loved ones instead of worrying about what presents they want for the next two months. Thanksgiving allows people to enjoy having a feast with their family and focus only on hanging out with one another. 

Another day that often trumps Thanksgiving is Black Friday. 

“I like Black Friday shopping because the feeling of finding a good deal excites me,” said Marist student Sydney Armstrong. 

Many retail stores discount their products as soon as Halloween ends because they see it as a perfect time to get customers. The holiday season is a prime time for gift buying, and many get caught up doing so instead of worrying about what to cook for Thanksgiving dinner. Black Friday draws people away from the Thanksgiving season because it makes people’s minds jump straight to Christmas.

On the other side of the argument are people who are ecstatic about Christmas, and have already put their decorations up. 

“I think people should start decorating in November because setting up the Christmas decorations gives people a sense of comfort because they get a sense of the holiday finally being here,” said Chicago teenager Tania McCoy. 

The holiday season brings people joy because they have something to look forward to. 

It’s an exciting time for children because they get a long break from school and test-taking. The holiday break is when people can reset and focus on having fun instead of stressing about work or school. It’s also a great time for friends and family to connect. 

Putting up Christmas decorations makes people feel like they’re getting closer to a holiday they’ve been eagerly waiting for all year. 

“I love the Christmas season because I enjoy being in the Christmas spirit. During the Christmas season I can always do things I love, like ice skating, watching Christmas movies and decorating,” said Marist Student Savannah Weathers.