Things to do This Fall Season

Fall officially began on September 23, and there are many activities to do during the season. Whether it is raking leaves, watching scary movies, or baking fall foods, there is something for everyone. 
Fresh-picked apples in a basket (Photo Cred: Shutterstock)

One of the more popular activities to do is to go apple picking. People go to various orchards for apple picking and other activities as well. Many enjoy hay rides, corn mazes, and shopping in the stores for fall treats. 

“I like apple picking because it is fun and brings me into the fall spirit,”  said Cassidy Cerant, sophomore. 

Another popular activity is going to Fright Fest. It is a month-long event at Six Flags that celebrates Halloween. The event began on September 16 and ends on October 29. 

“I love the adrenaline rush you get when you are there and being able to hang out with your friends,” said Marcia Cage, sophomore. 

Six Flags opening day advertisement on social media (Photo Cred: Six Flags)

During Fright Fest, the staff are dressed in spooky costumes and startle the guests throughout the night. Some lines for rides have creepy actors waiting to make their next scare.  

“I like Fright Fest because it gives me the arousing feeling of fear, which is fun to me,” said Akir Finley, sophomore. 

For those not interested in getting scared, Six Flags offers Boo Fest during daylight hours and it doesn’t have the same scary environment. 

Midnight Terror Haunted House’s advertisement post (Photo Cred: Midnight Terror Open House Facebook)

To go with the scary activities, consider going to a haunted house. There are plenty in Chicago. 

One in particular would be the Midnight Terror Haunted House. The website claims it is “Chicago’s #1 haunted house.” It is in Oak Lawn, IL, at 5520 W 111th St. It is open on certain days between 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. On November 3 and 4, they have a special event called, Clown Takeover

“I have gone every year for the past three years, and I always have so much fun every time I go,” said Drew Blackburn, junior.

Two people watching the Disney movie,  Hocus Pocus (Photo Cred: @kjp on Instagram)

Another popular activity during the fall is staying at home and watching movies. People say it gets them in the Halloween spirit.

“My favorite thing to do for the fall season would be watching fall movies because it is a fun way to spend time with my family,” said Elise Bocanegra, sophomore. 

The most popular genre to watch during this season would be horror movies, of course.

“I love scary movies because of the dramatic irony and suspicious tones. I like the feeling of being scared and waiting for the jump scares,” said Niyah Freeman, sophomore.