The Student News Site of Marist High School

MHS Media

MHS Media

MHS Media

Marist Marching Band’s Halftime Show Behind The Scenes

Marist band’s halftime show includes multiple songs while members make different designs with their instruments.
Marist tuba players doing a move called double time to their parade formation.
Katie Mathis.

Band Director Mr. Creagh said they will be performing the songs, “Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver, “Toxic” by Britney Spears, and “Come Sail Away” by Styx this football season. They will also be making designs on the field which include a house for “Take Me Home, Country Roads” and then making toxic waste symbols for “Toxic.” There will also be some flowy designs for the song “Come Sail Away” because the song is a ballad.  

The Marist band practices during their first period of school and also two days after school every week when there is a home football game. Most of the time practices are around forty-five minutes to an hour and a half. They practice their pre game and their halftime show. 

There is also a required band camp for one week where they stay at Marist from 8am to 5pm and learn to play and march into the designs they make. 

The band has a good reputation. Alex Klockow, tenor drum player, says, “We maintain being excellent by having good leadership from the upperclassmen.” The juniors and seniors help the underclassmen learn how to do different things with their instruments. 

Every person who plays the same instrument has someone called a section leader. A section leader has a group of four students and tells them how to move to their next formation. A section leader is responsible for keeping them in unison.