On the Mat with Ava Enright

The history-making freshman opens up to MHS Media about her success, challenges, and hopes for the future
Ava (in red) competing at regionals (Credit: Marist Wrestling Instagram)

Marist freshman Ava Enright is the only girl in Marist history who earned the opportunity to go to regionals for wrestling. 

Enright has a lot of experience dating back to to her first taste of the wrestling world when she was just 8 years old. She went to Mt. Greenwood Middle School where she also wrestled. 

Coach Tops, the wrestling coach and director of the football teams, has watched Enright since she was in grammar school. 

“She’s the best female wrestler we’ve had here. Next year I bet she will make it to state,”  said Topps.

Enright got into wrestling from watching her older brother on the mat.

“My older brother wrestled since he was 4, so I grew up around the sport a lot,” she said.

The journey for her has not always been easy.

“As soon as I started wrestling I immediately felt a connection to the sport but there were definitely times that got very difficult during tournament and practices . But I always remind myself that it’s not supposed to be easy and if it was anyone could do it,” she said.

The training is mental as well as physical.

“Going into regionals I knew I had to have a good mindset and just take it one match at a time so once I received the 4th place medal and qualified for sectionals, I wanted to focus on enjoying the moment,” she said.

Her season came to an end this year after regionals. 

“I had a lot of support going out as the only girls qualifier and when I ended up not making it to state, I kept my head up and focused on next year because I’m going to work harder in these coming months until that state series rolls around again, because now I know what to expect in the IHSA series,” she said.

Now, her focus is on next year.

“I hope to continue to surprise people just as I did and show that I belong on the mat with older and stronger girls that I know I can handle and I  know I will have just as great of a season no matter what during my four years at Marist.”

View Comments (1)