The Student News Site of Marist High School

MHS Media

MHS Media

MHS Media

Presence: The Theme of The Year

Every year, Marist High School chooses from one of the five pillars to focus on. This year’s chosen pillar is presence.
Photo via Jim Baker, Sacred Scriptures

According to the Marist website, “presence is caring for each other, seeking relationships founded on love, being attentive and welcoming with a sense of openness.”
“I think what I look at as presence is the idea of reconnection, the idea that we get back into routines, or were successfully able to communicate in school with our peers and with our families,” Mr. Inzinga said. “As a student, you’ve got to be pretty self-reflective. Ask yourself, “How can I become a part of making this community where people are helpful to one another and present for each other?”
“I think it’s really important for students to take time to practice mindfulness and be present and aware of what they’re thinking, feeling, and just kind of being in the moment,” junior religion teacher, Mr. Lundquist said.
Presence is something that everyone can consider reflecting on. Learning to be in the moment, being attentive, supportive, and open can be a great help to anyone.
“In the Way of Mary” was the theme that taught students and staff to resemble Mary’s faith, strength, kindness, and learning to follow God’s call for our own journey, last year.  That means “seeing Mary as a perfect model of being Marist, tender, strong, constant in faith, and open to God’s calling us to our own journey of discipleship,” according to the website.
The pillars displayed are the following: Simplicity, Family Spirit, Love of Work, In the Way of Mary, and of course, Presence.
They were created back in 2015 in a discussion that was focused on how to come up with pillars of faith for every Marist school and establishment. They were modeled after the Marist Brothers and their idea of what teachers should attempt to display
when teaching students.
Overall, the pillars are what help set examples for us of what values and aspects we can focus on in school, at home, and anywhere else.