Freshman Makes Marist History

Ava Enright is the first Marist girls wrestler to head to state competition Feb 9, 10
Enright+earning+her+4th+place+finish+at+regionals+
Enright earning her 4th place finish at regionals

Freshman Ava Enright is the first girls wrestler in Marist history to qualify for state competitions. She competed and won 4th place at Curie High School for her regional competition Saturday, January 27. 

Marist wrestling has been widely considered as a powerhouse, but this year, the girls team has a chance to make a legendary run that would be the first in their history. 

“I felt very proud of myself, and I feel very honored to be able to qualify for sectionals and represent Marist as the first girl to make it,” said Enright.

“This is my 6th year wrestling,” said Enright. “I feel really excited.”

Enright has been wrestling since she was nine through Mt. Greenwood. She went to state last year as the runner-up of the Illinois Girls Folkstyle when she was in eighth grade, placed in the high school division. 

“I have always wished it were something that I could have been involved with when I was in high school but it just wasn’t a thing to do back then,” said Coach Kelly Sullivan.

“Ava inspires the team with her experience, her knowledge, her work ethics and her clever humor. Ava works hard, takes the sport very seriously and yet still maintains a playful attitude. Younger wrestlers on their way to Marist will always have a leader in the room,” said Sullivan.

Sectionals will take place next Friday and Saturday February 9 and 10 in Springfield. She will compete against girls from schools all across the state. 

“I definitely feel prepared. My coaches, family, friends, and teammates  have helped me progress immensely over this past season,” said Enright. 

She is also excited to draw attention to the girls wrestling team at Marist. 

“I wanted to surprise people and do things some wouldn’t expect, and I hope that I continue to progress through my four years at Marist,” said Enright.