How to Relieve Stress Around Finals

Phot credit: Incontact Counseling

As our first finals of the 2023-2024 school year approaches, it is clear that students are feeling the stress of the season. Ways to cope with this include working on time management or seeing a counselor.

Since Thanksgiving break Marist students have had three full weeks of school. During this time, teachers have started to prepare for the finals starting on Friday, December 15.

This may seem like it’s just a normal routine for high school students, but that does not make it any less stressful for those who are facing an overwhelming amount of work. MHS media conducted a survey of approximately 350 Marist students. 50% of respondents said that their workload during these few weeks is much more than their normal amount.

This was an especially common response for sophomores and juniors. This is because the higher level grades and classes have more work. Sophomore and junior classes have the biggest changes compared to last year.

“I can’t believe how much work I’ve been getting. I have a test almost every day and so much homework every night. I wish I could go back to last year. It was so much easier,” said sophomore Evie DiFlippo. 

DiFilippo is not alone. Most students in every grade feel this way.

Some ways to help with these feelings of stress are to make sure to get enough sleep, study, take a personal break when you can to calm yourself down, or see one of the Marist counselors. 

These solutions come from the MHS media survey. This goes to show that you are not alone and these feelings are completely normal. Whether that be feelings of stress, anxiety, anger, or all of them. 

Another solution Marist students suggest is to work on time management. It’s important to stay organized and stay on top of all of your work, prioritize the work that will take you the longest and knock that out first. Also, be sure you give yourself plenty of time to finish any assignments.

“During all of my years at Marist, I still never failed to feel stressed around finals. Even though I have taken so many of them and know I’ll feel more overwhelmed as they get closer I still get surprised by these feelings,” said senior Meghan Kelly. 

No matter how people prepare themselves, or how much experience they have with finals, students’ stress levels increase as the tests creep up. The same survey found that 68% of Marist students think their current stress/anxiety levels have increased. 

Students must remember that during the time of and before finals, it is okay to feel unusual and higher levels of stress. If you do need extra support or need a way to express your feelings anytime, make an appointment with your Marist counselor. 

Find your counselor on the Marist website and email them to schedule an appointment.

https://www.marist.net/department/counseling/ 

View Comments (1)