Marist Students’ Thanksgiving Traditions

Marist students in Mr. Doidge’s Digital Media class are excited for Thanksgiving break.

As Thanksgiving is approaching people are starting to make plans for their family dinners and their day’s activities. It is a time that is spent in different ways, but many traditions are common in the Marist community. 

Thanksgiving celebrates the freedom and blessings we all have today. The holiday originated from the first Thanksgiving that was created by the pilgrims in Plymouth, Massachusetts.  On the first Thanksgiving the pilgrims took part in a feast for three whole days. It was in honor of their first harvest in the New World.

Junior Drew Blackburn says, “For Thanksgiving, I have a big turkey dinner with my immediate family.” This is a very popular tradition for families. People will often spend the day with their extended relatives or just their immediate family. 

Sophomore Cassidy Cage says,“Sometimes I go to Disney Universal with my family for Thanksgiving, just to get a break. It is the only time me and my brother have the same break schedule so my family started this tradition.” 

This is the case for many families with kids in sports, or kids that go to different schools. Athletes usually get a break from the season to relax and spend time with their family. Most schools around our area have the same break schedule. This gives students a chance to spend time with kids from neighboring schools. 

Sophomore Evie DiFlippo says, “During my break I will spend time with my McAuley friends, and my brothers that are coming home from college.” 

Thanksgiving break is a big time for families with kids in college. After their long semester, college students finally have a break where they can come home and visit family and friends from their hometown. The majority of college students come home for this holiday, so it gives siblings a chance to reunite for a whole week. 

“Seeing my brothers on Thanksgiving really makes me feel a lot better, especially after not seeing them for such a long time,” says DiFlippo.