Game Preview: The Battle of Pulaski

Historic “Battle of Pulaski” rages on as Marist and Brother Rice face off at Red & White Stadium tonight in the greatest football rivalry on the South Side of Chicago.
Kirsten Stickney
Marist receiver (red) drops pass in coverage by Brother Rice defenders (white) (photo via Kirsten Stickney)

Tonight your Marist Redhawks and the Brother Rice Crusaders face off in the annual “Battle of Pulaski.” This game puts #10 Brother Rice (1-0) against #24 Marist (0-1) at Marist’s Red & White Stadium.

Marist comes off a heartbreaking 7-6 week one loss against Glenbard West. Marist seeks to bounce back after a slow offensive performance.

“It was a rough week all around offensively, however, with Rice coming up, it motivated us to lock in and fix any mistakes,” said Marist offensive lineman Luke Becker

With the offense primed for a bounce back week and the defensive coming off a dominant performance, special teams remains as the only question mark.

Following multiple missed field goals in week one, Marist will turn to senior Josh Ciesla to kick against Brother Rice. Ciesla, already a varsity soccer player, is set to make his varsity football debut tonight under the Friday night lights. With all the pressure on him Ciesla said, “I haven’t really thought too much about it… I’m ready to finally be on the sidelines and not just the student section.”

Marist comes into this rivalry matchup with the odds against them, however rankings never seem to matter when these two teams clash. Coming off a huge win at Brother Rice last year Marist looks to make a statement at home and secure their first win of the season.