Artist of the Week: Beyonce

The artist Beyonce posing for one of her photoshoots.

Jai'Lyn-Marie Webb, MHS Media Writer

Beyonce Giselle Knowles, better known as Beyonce, was born in Houston, Texas on September 4, 1981. She lived with her parents, Tina and Mathew Knowles and siblings, Solange Knowles and Bianca Lawson in a home in Third Ward of Houston.

At the age of seven she began performing in school talent shows at Parker Elementary School. As her music interest grew, she attended Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts where she began to take music more seriously.

Outside of school, Beyonce was a member of St. John’s United Methodist Church where she sang solo songs.

Beyonce began her career in 1990 with her friend LaTavia Roberson, whom she met at an audition. After two years of the friends singing together, Beyonce’s cousin Kelly Rowland joined the group. They dropped their first song “Killing Time” the summer of 1997.

After years of working together, the group decided it was time to pursue their own personal goals and solo efforts. As was quoted in People Magazine, the group says, “No matter what happens, we will always love each other as friends and sisters and will always support each other as artists.”

After the split, Beyonce started to work with a group of producers dropping “Work it Out” the summer of 2002. A year later, she dropped her first solo album Dangerously in Love making number one on the US Billboard 200.

In 2008, she dropped another hit album I Am… Sasha Fierce which made number one on the U.S. Billboard.

Beyonce is now married to the famous rapper Jay-Z and has 3 kids with the name of Blue Ivy, Rumi, and Sir Carter.

She is known as the artist that has the most Grammy Awards and her music is played worldwide.